Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

"Thoughts That Count"

        

          ...But for all the richness of my friend's words, I think the most powerful advice I ever received was from my father, Danny Thomas.
          When I was a struggling young actress of 18, and he was already a famous comedian, I went to him in tears because everyone was comparing me with him.  He said, "I raised you to be a thoroughbred, and when thoroughbreds run, they wear blinders to keep their eyes focused straight ahead with no distractions from the other horses.  They run their own race.  That's what you have to do. Don't listen to anyone comparing you to me or anyone else.  You just run your own race."
          My dad gave me so much great advice over the years.  And when he died, I knew how much I would miss talking to him.  But that's when another friend, Mike Nichols, gave me advice I still cherish-and pass along to others who have lost someone they love. "All the things you wish you had said, you can still tell him," he said.  "The conversation continues..."

~ Marlo Thomas
U.S.A.

~ Beannaichte'
28 April, 2014

@beannaichte.twitter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment